Lick mats are a great way to keep your pet entertained and occupied. They are designed to provide dogs with mental stimulation and physical reward. Not only do they help reduce stress and anxiety, but they also help promote healthy chewing habits. In this guide, we will explore the various perks of lick mats, how to adequately use them, and which type of lick mat is right for your buddy.
What Are Lick Mats?
Lick mats are a type of toy that is designed to be licked or chewed on by pets. These mats come in various shapes and sizes, from small puzzle-like pieces to large flat surfaces covered in ridges and bumps. The mats can be made from rubber, plastic, or even edible materials like jelly or peanut butter. Most lick mats have raised textures that provide stimulating pressure points for the tongue, mouth, and teeth when licked or chewed. This helps promote healthy oral hygiene habits while providing mental stimulation for your pet.
Benefits of Using Lick Mats
There are many benefits that come with using lick mats for your pet. The most obvious benefit is that it provides a safe outlet for dogs to relieve their boredom and anxiety. Chewing on something like a lick mat can help distract them from destructive behaviours such as excessive barking or digging up furniture or carpets. Additionally, these types of toys can help strengthen the bond between you and your pet as you interact with them while they play with their new favourite toy. Additionally, licking mats can help reduce plaque buildup on the teeth due to the ridges that provide extra brushing action while they play with it.
How To Use A Lick Mat Effectively
When introducing a lick mat into your dog’s daily routine there are some important tips you should consider:
- First make sure to choose an appropriate size for your pup – if you own, for example an adorable Shiba Inu Puppy, which is considered a small breed, make sure to get a small mat. If you have a gigantic Labrador, pick something that fits your buddy’s enjoyment.
- Start off slowly by offering the mat only once in a while when your pup is feeling especially bored or anxious; gradually increase its usage over time so they get used to it being around more often without getting overwhelmed by it all at once.
- Be sure to monitor their behaviour while playing with the mat – if they seem frustrated or bored, switch activities or move onto something else entirely so they don’t associate the toy negatively with boredom or anxiety issues later on down the line!
- Reward them for playing with the mat – whether this is verbal praise or treats – so that eventually just having access to their favourite chew toy will be enough motivation for them!
Which Type Of Lick Mat Is Right For Your Pet?
There are several different types of lick mats available on the market today:
- Silicone: Silicone is one of the most popular materials used in dog toys due to its durability and softness making it easy on teeth (and owners!). It is also non-toxic which makes it safer than other materials out there!
- Plastic: Plastic is another popular material used in dog toys because of its versatility – you can find plastic toys in various sizes, shapes and textures depending on what kind of stimulation you’re looking for! It’s also relatively inexpensive compared to other materials – perfect if you’re looking for something on a budget!
- Edible Materials: There are also edible options available such as jelly or peanut butter flavoured toys – these can provide an extra incentive since dogs love food-based rewards! However these types tend to wear down faster than silicone/plastic ones so keep an eye on their condition before allowing extended playtime!
Lick mats are an excellent way to provide your pup with both mental stimulation and physical reward – helping reduce stress levels while promoting good oral hygiene habits at the same time!
When choosing which type of mat is best for your pup, remember to consider size, material safety (especially if opting for edible varieties!) as well as how much interest/stimulation each type offers – then enjoy watching them enjoy their new favourite toy!